Monday, November 21, 2011

Myrtle Beach, SC

Once we left Cape Fear and headed south, we were in new territory to us.  When we headed north in the spring, we left Savannah, GA and went out to the ocean and headed to Cape Fear.  That took us 30 hours in the ocean.  This time we stayed on the intra coastal waterway to head south.  We headed into South Carolina and made a stop at Myrtle Beach.  We stayed on the south end of the area at a great Marina.  Osprey Marina.  Not only did they have a great price, but they were very friendly and helpful there. David was happy to stay several days as after the first 3 nights their price dropped 75%. They had a great price on fuel and we were low.  We decided to fill our tanks here rather than Florida, as Florida tends to be a little higher in fuel prices. 

The next day we picked up a rental car and headed to the beach.  It was a beautiful day, a little cloudy, but the temp was in the high 70s, however the beach was windy.  The kids donned their wetsuits, grabbed their boogie boards and headed for the water.  They had a great time playing in the waves and digging in the sand.  David and I rested on the beach just enjoying the day and watching the kids play.

We booked a ticket that morning to send Kylynn home the next day.  So early the next morning we all loaded up in the van and headed south to Charleston.  It was a 2 hour drive to the airport there.  After dropping Kylynn off and waving goodbye we headed to visit the Charles Pinckney Farm and    Fort Moultrie.  The kids earned junior ranger badges at both places.  Charles Pinckney was only 27 years old as a member of congress that helped write our Constitution.  He also signed the Declaration of Independence a few years earlier as a representative of South Carolina.  At Fort Moultrie we learned about how the fort was used during the American revolution to defend the harbor of Charleston.  There is another fort in Charleston that is only reachable by boat, the more infamous Fort Sumter.  We saved our visit there for when we came through in a week by boat. 

We stayed a few days in Myrtle Beach, re-stocking the boat.  It had been 2 weeks since we had been to the store and we were happy to stock back up on fresh veggies and fruit. It was nice to attend church too.  It had been a few weeks since we had been able to go.  We had also talked Grandma into coming and spending 10 days with us on the boat before Suzie is able to come out to help us.  Grandma flew in late Sunday night, and David and Savannah made the drive to Charleston again to pick her up.  Early Monday morning we waved goodbye to Osprey Marina and headed south, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment